Saturday, December 08, 2007

How Can We Listen to Classical Now?

This Is Sort of How



It's tough to just sit around jamming out to some Mozart or whatever nowadays, even alone. I get self-conscious when I bring it up on iTunes when I have a hangover (which is often) or am reading an economics textbook to try to advance my career (which is rare). No one's around most of the time in either situation, so the stigma that stinks up the act of enjoying some Rachmaninov roars pretty fierce.

Problem: Classical music is not just for people who wear turtlenecks or gesture too much with their hands and won't shut up.

I was thinking this when it occurred to me that maybe people had made some sweet video montages on YouTube set to classical tunes. If they had, I could just relax and enjoy the songs without feeling arty, because what would I really be doing? Just lookin at some YouTube videos, per usual! Well, no one really has made sweet video montages on YouTube set to classical tunes. But they probably should start.

Yeah, I know Disney did Fantasia, which makes this point not entirely original, but it gives me hope that maybe we can make smart things wholesome again by making them dumb. All we have to do is post them on YouTube as mashups.

Unrelated: This is just pretty heartwarming. Without giving away too much, it involves orange Gatorade.

No comments: