Monday, April 07, 2008

Hayfever

An Unemotional Topic

A year ago today I met the midpoint of a horrific bout of hayfever. I spent the entire month between mid-March and mid-April on Benadryl. This was a difficult time because drowsiness is not a desirable symptom for a bartender to have. I didn't mind, though, because the histamine blocker soothes nerves, and I never even noticed how long I was making people wait for their drinks. It was only after the pollen left the air that the regulars told me how slow I'd been. I wonder why they kept coming back. Must be my cheery disposition.

This morning as I sat mentally preparing for a long-delayed physical exertion, my eyes began to itch and water. There's some swelling above my right eye, the way it feels right after it's taken a punch.

Here we go again. April is the cruelest month.

No comments: