Thursday, April 03, 2008

Songs

Pressed this past weekend for examples of the "boyfriend vs. girlfriend" idea, I couldn't come up with very many examples. Here I will try to rectify that.

Boyfriend -> Girlfriend

Dolly Parton - "Jolene"

Billy Stewart - "Summertime"

Cansei de Ser Sexy - "Music Is My Hot Hot Sex" (aka "that iPod Touch commercial song")

The Who - "The Kids Are Alright"

Sublime - "The Wrong Way"

The Misfits - "Skulls"

Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

Eminem feat. Obie Trice and 50 Cent - "Love Me"

The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me, Separation Sunday

Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City"

Pixies - "Cactus"

Heart - "Crazy on You," "What About Love"

Chuck Berry - Entire catalog except "My Ding a Ling"

Ani DiFranco - "Both Hands"

Girlfriend -> Boyfriend

Cake - "Jolene"

Howard Huntsberry - "Higher and Higher"

Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam - "Won't Back Down" Tom Petty Cover, "Given to Fly"

The Misfits - "Last Caress"

Sublime - "What I Got"

Hello Stranger - "Her in These Lights"

Warrant - "Cherry Pie"

Neko Case - all songs

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Bruce Springsteen - "Born to Run"

Pixies - "Gigantic"

Heart - "Magic Man"

Chuck Berry - "My Ding a Ling"

Ani DiFranco - "Shy"

These distinctions might not be clear to anyone but me, but hopefully they shed some light on the matter. The Ani example might seem off-message, but I think a close listen will bring the reader/listener down into my camp. If this post clears nothing up at all, then it is like many others. Maybe we'll try this again someday.

Keep your powder dry, everybody!

No comments: