Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Discarded Words, Phrases

It's not uncommon for a person to adopt a phrase or word only to let it fall away after excessive, repetitive and gratuitous use. A word or phrase that appears sufficiently unique will serve as a mark of distinction, at least until enough people ask what it means.

Here are some of the phrases I've dropped frequently and then dropped altogether.

"A veritable cornucopia" - don't really miss that one.

" ... or something" - used to hedge when giving an especially harsh opinion. I give fewer harsh opinions now (or maybe I just do less hedging).

"Sad business" - a sad state of affairs, used as a direct object. I still like this one, but I think I still wore it out.

"Bad business" - basically sad business.

"Shut up you dumb idiot" - probably not hard to imagine why that one didn't last.

"(verb) the pants off (noun/pronoun)" - a coworker actually told me that one was inappropriate!

"I make it rain" - 2006.

"I roll like a boss" - 2005.

"Get pumped" - There was a time when I felt it was important to encourage people to get pumped as often as possible. I'm not sure when or why that time ended. It was a good time. Getting pumped is almost always a good decision.

"Strong move" - Still in currency but soon to be tossed in the heap.

"There are 6 million women in New York" - I mean, come on. Honestly.

Got your own discarded phrase? Drop it in the comments below! I'll read it! And say it. For you.

No comments: