Thursday, February 21, 2008

Stuff White People Like

A friend indicated to me that Stuff White People Like is no longer just a series of stereotypes; it is also a blog.

Let's just get it out of the way that white people, as defined by this blog, like this blog.

Moving on: this is the sort of unimaginative conception of race that actually winds up hurting us. Example: "Difficult breakups." Really? I guess the theory behind the humor there is that white people are self-absorbed and self-important, and that we, i.e. white people (yeah I'm white! Hi world!), are too dramatic about love or whatever. Still, I've never heard anyone say "White people care too much about relationships." That is patently not a phenomenon. But this blog wants it to be, so it is.

But as opposed to whom? Asians? Black people? Hispanics? Where is the redeeming quality in race-baiting satire (which I often find funny) if there isn't even a palpable referent? This blog appears to do little besides create new stereotypes.

Another one: Expensive sandwiches! You could make a class argument here, but I'm not really seeing the chi chi turkey swiss get turned down by a lot of people, fishbelly or otherwise.

Admittedly, this site is a little cute. But I'm having trouble imagining what kind of person I'd be if I checked back regularly.

No comments: