Monday, February 04, 2008

The World Is a Different Place Today



I've been pretty resolutely on the fence about the whole election situation and through negligence and ignorance did not register to vote on this most Super of Tuesdays. However, many of my friends who know something about politics and ideas have been pretty forthright about their support for Barack Obama, a young senator from Illinois who, as near as I can tell, is running on hope, change, and the idea that the Iraq war never even looked like a good idea. I guess I can get behind each of those. Not that it matters right now.

Okay on to the video above, which made its YouTube debut Saturday.

Yes, the BEP are and have been ridic since basically when they came out and for them to make a video endorsing a presidential candidate is also a ridic idea. But it taps into something a friend of mine told me on New Years Eve about Obama's speech at the Jefferson Jackson dinner: "See? The fact that he can make people like us care at all about what happens is what makes him so unique. We're not supposed to have feelings about politics."

Yes, politicians are rarely inspiring and I am not predisposed to caring one way or another about whether someone wins unless they are complete knuckleheads who put my friends in a desert to be shot and blown up for no justifiable purpose.



But the worm feels as though it's turning in my loins here. I kind of get a tingle when I hear Obama's voice and I almost want to believe that he really would make the country better.

I certainly like that the Black Eyed Peas made a video of him talking and them singing and that they probably believe this will in some way help the world become a better place. It's hard to imagine any hip-hop artist doing that for Hillary or anyone else in the race (maybe Edwards, or - call me bananas - Huckabee).

And that there is a candidate who can inspire this kind of conceit - a candidate who creates a world in which YouTube exists so people can make music videos about their favorite political candidates -- strikes at my (however perverted) sense of what America should be like.

So alright Barack Obama, I'm sort of listening, and you have Will.I.Am to thank for that.

No comments: